The end of May…

…sure gets busy with the end-of-the-year-festivities. Fifth grade is the year each student does a state report. Mallerie was excited to get one of her first choices: New Jersey. We came up with a unique poster display for it. Before the state fair in the gym they each presented an oral presentation to their class. They were allowed to bring a food item for the class…as long as it had something to do with their report. She really wanted to bring some candy but I didn’t want to spend any money and I had a case of Smarties in the garage that Matt got at a trade show so I stuck them in her bag and told her, “After your report you can tell your class, you are now a Smartie when it comes to knowing about New Jersey.”


Mallerie also had a day where she went to school dressed as Pocahontas and her class acted as a wax museum in the library for the other classes to come to. I went and pushed the ‘button’ in front of students to hear them recite some facts about their character. Their dress was also a clue. What I learned is that I sure am rusty on my history! I just kept calling out names till I got it right, “Thomas Edison? Benjamin Franklin? Buzz Aldrin?” Mallerie is waiting for someone to push her button.


The fifth grade also went to a Bee’s game and to Classic Skating, not to mention field day. There wasn’t a lot of learning going on there at the end but she was sure enjoying it.
I did help sell snacks during Grayson’s field day. I was glad that I happened to come because I hadn’t realized there would be snacks for sale and each child had brought a couple of dollars. Grayson wouldn’t have been turned away but I was glad he got by without realizing I had spaced it. Before heading to Hoogle Zoo:

Oh how I'll miss watching Grayson run into Kindergarten...
Grayson also went to the zoo and made sure in days leading up that I would NOT be accompanying him. Each child is so different. Here last year Ava was begging for me go and was so happy that I could. Mallerie still feels shafted that I never accompanied her on a class field trip, but Katrina would have ran the other way if I had shown up. Time will tell what Growlie’s opinions are. (Growlie is the name combination that Matt came up with for when we need to reference both Graham and Callie. You’d be surprised how much we use it.)
In addition to Ava’s field day and program she went to the children’s museum at the Gateway. I have yet to go and have wondered how it compares to the old one. She didn’t have any complaints but I think since we had just gone to one in Oregon it wasn’t a novelty. She sure is mild mannered and easy going about everything though. Just yesterday she made her own lunch. As she set it on the counter she said to herself, “Thank you Ava…You’re welcome Ava.” Here is Ava goofing off with her friends:


Katrina’s big event was Lagoon. I didn’t get to go till ninth grade so she’s lucky. She was on the hunt for some new swim wear leading up to the event. Between the two of us we were able to find some cute ones online and lo and behold one of the stores was in Lindon. This would save on S&H so one evening we drove down there. They had conveniently just closed so we looked at Ross and other places before giving up. I made mention about how she wouldn’t have a new suit for Lagoon-a-beach. She said, “Oh, I’m not going to Lagoon-a-beach.” I asked, “So why do you need a new suit for Lagoon day?” “Cause you get wet on some of the other rides.” I suddenly didn’t feel so badly that we didn’t find a new swimsuit in time. All that running around for…what?
Apparently I don’t have much else to occupy my time with though. During the time when my back was getting better I was laying on a heating pad in my room when she got home from school, she looked stunned, “Are you STILL in bed?” I in turn said, “Are YOU?”