Mallerie turns 11! June 3, 2009

Katrina and her friend Brook decorated the porch for me. Unless it involved the cakes, I had no time for it.

Mallerie's birthday cake decorated by none other than...herself!
For Mallerie's birthday this year she chose to do a similar party to one that Katrina did when she was turning 8 or 9 where each guest decorates their own personal cake. I like this for the fact that the cake also acts as the party favor, and activity...but...you can't imagine the amount of work that goes into it beforehand. She invited 18 girls. Even knowing that they wouldn't all show I went ahead and baked 18 6" cakes so that my other kids could decorate one and "just in case" they all showed. And when isn't it handy to have an extra cake on hand? Too bad I only have ONE pan that size, cause even though I have a double oven and could have easily fit several in each I baked from sun up to sun down till I had the cakes made. I also iced each one white and refroze it so the girls could just focus on decorating. I picked up some more decorating bags so there were plenty to go around and I made a metal note that this party goes much better when the girls are 11 instead of 9.


 Not only did the cakes look better, but I wasn't having to help them so much. This freed up my time to rumage up some eats. I had spent all my time on those cakes and neglected a menu. It turned out to be one of those times where the rumaging around prooved to be just what I needed for variety, and cheeeap. We had mini pizzadilla's, jello jigglers, mini quiche's, chopped hot dogs in sweet sauce, and a dlightful punch made from food storage fruit drink, packets if crystal light, and I cut up a grapefruit to float around the top. These eats were a hit, so much so that I recreated this palat for the cousins a few weeks later. However, we were out of cake.
Katrina has quite the artistic eye doesn't she?
Out side the girls played a game where they each made up a dance move and then then the next person added to it. I put the music to the window and they danced to "Love Story" doing the said moves.

I thought Katrina's gift was thoughtful. I had seen a moving fish tank light at Kings that I thought Mallerie might enjoy. Katrina had the same thoughts apparently because she bought it for Mallerie. And it wasn't cheap.
Her friend Cassie (brunette)gave her a watch and made it very clear that it was from Wal-mart and that if she didn't like it she could take it back (gift receipt included). Mallerie assured her she would love it and wear it. Later that night Cassie called, "You really love it? You'll really wear it?" I wonder if she's related to Sally Field?

That evening she opened her finale gift: an IPOD nano. Ava bought her shuffle from her, so now everyone is happy. Well, trying to be.
Mallerie opening her IPOD.
September 11th is seeming an awfully long time away...