R.I.P. M.J. 6.25.09


I watched Michael Jackson's funeral as did many of you (you watched it didn't you?)on 7/7. I watched on line FB style where I could read people's thoughts from all over the world. People were commenting from Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia, San Juan, Berlin, Finland, etc, as well as all over the US. Some stated that it was four in the morning for them. As the news showed the hurse en route to the Staples Center a man typed, "They sure is speeding along." But my favorite was a woman from the south during the ceremony, "Lawd Ha'Mercy!" Typed just like that.

I remember 1983 when MJ was at the height of popularity and I was in 2nd grade. One day my teacher Mrs. Alldredge told us we were going to have a special surprise visitor. By the clues she gave I was certain it was going to be Michael Jackson. The classes combined next door in Mrs. Despain's room. Sure enough "Beat It" started playing and a TOTAL IMPERSONATOR moonwalks through the door. He kept his head down so we could just see the top of his hat and he used his THUMB as the mic. I remember thinking clearly in my 7 year old logic, "What do they think we are, STUPID???"