Chess Club
When Grayson brought home a note about Chess Club starting up at school and expressed interest I nodded like I always do. I was sure he would forget about it so when I was straightening the kitchen that night I threw the flyer in the trash. The following Thursday as I was leaving to pick up the kids from school Grayson called really excited that it was Chess Club that and he was staying for it. The words that went through my mind were, “Good for him.” He was so excited when I picked him up an hour later and said the instructor Mr. MaWhinney was really funny, he described the pawns as, “these crazy guys.” He was actually torn in the next couple of weeks when he had to choose between Chess Club and a Birthday party. In the end he chose the Birthday party. Grayson kept calling it CHEST instead of CHESS. I said, “It’s CHESS not CHEST, there isn’t a ‘t’ at the end. He said, “Well that’s just how I say it.” For this one I had to be insistent, “If you can learn to play CHESS then you can learn how to say it, it’s CHESSSSSSSSSSSSS.”