ISSUES 3/3/10

Every year Wasatch County puts on “Issues” for the current year with its concerns. Different speakers address diverse topics. For GYC (Governor’s Youth Council) Katrina helped with the children’s activities. There are activities for children of all ages down to Callie so Matt and I were able to go to the classes together. We went to a class on teen alcohol and then to one on Energy drinks. You know like Monster, Rock Star, and Red Bull. These were not around when I was a teen and so I was glad to learn about them. They aint good. There is a Naked Juice Energy drink that is loaded with caffeine. Naked Juice is one of Gatorade’s top sellers and is basically a fruit drink that is nutritious but this ONE variety has caffeine. As the instructor was talking about this I saw Matt’s hand go up. I mumbled under my breath, “Uh-oh, here we go.” He stated that Naked Juice has a pound of fruit in each bottle and is very good for you, except for that ONE variety.” I was glad he left it at that. I don’t know why I get so nervous. He’s such a nice guy I just know how passionate he can get about his products. It’s like someone bringing up Chem-Dry Jamie, you know Marks hand would shoot right up if someone addressed it. It’s like that. Anyway, I was glad to have the information on Energy drinks when Katrina did FHE on the Word of Wisdom a few weeks later and after discussing them we could all agree that Energy drinks belong in the “not for the body” category including the Naked Juice brand.